A new study from the Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) found that skin care clients are highly influenced by the Internet and social media when making purchasing decisions. The study includes some valuable information for licensed estheticians, especially those working as independent contractors, offering new ways to market their services and grow their clientele base.
The IAB Summer Skincare Digital Report was based on data collected by Prosper Insights during two online surveys in January and June 2013. The report analyzed the purchase behaviors of skin care clients to offer insight to beauty brands and licensed beauty professionals.
Here are the key findings of the IAB Summer Skincare Digital Report:
- Skin care buyers research products online (61%) and make online purchases (50%) much more frequently than the general population.
- This group is also more likely to surf the Internet (94%) and use social media (75%) than the average adult.
- This group is more likely to watch digital video on desktop computers (49%) and mobile devices (37%).
- They’re also more influenced by Internet ads than the average consumer when making beauty purchases (29%).
- One in four skin care buyers researches beauty products on a mobile device. One in five has purchased beauty products on a mobile device.
- Skin care buyers’ purchase decisions are “greatly influenced” by the Internet (50%) and mobile (32%) coupons, and daily deal websites (71%).
You can read the full IAB Summer Skincare Digital Report here.
Knowing that skin care customers are experienced users of the Internet and social media can help estheticians market directly to potential clients.
Here are some new marketing ideas for licensed estheticians from this report’s findings:
- Daily Deal Websites– Since 71% of skin care customers have reportedly used them, daily deal websites, like Groupon or Living Social, are a great investment. While these sites may ask you to discount your services more than you’re comfortable with, if you deliver superior customer service, you’ll likely get return customers.
- Social Media – You should have a presence on the social media sites that your clients use the most. Remember that social media sites function like a two-way street. These sites are a great opportunity to poll your clients on which services or products they desire the most. It’s also a great idea to give offer incentives for people to follow you, like offering exclusive discounts to your followers.
- Mobile – Since a majority of your clients will be searching for services and products on their phones, it’s extremely important for your website to be mobile friendly. Make it as easy as possible for someone to view your services list and schedule an appointment through their mobile phone.
- Video – The fact that clients love to watch video is another great opportunity for you! Creating some short skin care or makeup application videos would be super helpful to your clients and also give you some great content to post on your social media sites. Whatever you decide to do for your video, remember to keep it short!
The best way to grow your client base is — and always will be — delivering excellent customer service. You want every one of your clients to be relaxed in your chair and happy with the finished results long after they leave. Going above and beyond with your customer service will give you the best type of marketing that money can’t buy – word-of-mouth marketing.
For more ideas on how to go above and beyond with your customer service, read 4 Tips to Grow Your Clientele with Great Customer Service.
Salon Success Academy is an esthetician school with five locations throughout the Inland Empire of California in Corona, Upland, Redlands, Fontana, and San Bernardino. The school offers hands-on training in esthetics and cosmetology, as well as flexible class schedules, extensive State Board preparation, and Financial Aid assistance to those who qualify. If you would like to learn more about the esthetics program at Salon Success Academy, fill out the form or call 1-877-987-HAIR.