You may think esthetician school focuses solely on facials but there is so much more to learn than just how to make someone’s face feel good. Estheticians need to know the basics of skin care and the science behind beauty products to do their job effectively. They also have to be well trained in health and safety standards and know how to interact with clients to give them the best experience possible.
Here’s what you’ll really learn in esthetician school:
Esthetician Health and Safety
The most important thing you can learn in esthetician school is health and safety. It demonstrates your professionalism and your concern for your clients. It’s also the law! You are required by your state’s laws to keep your tools, workstation, and shop clean and sanitized.
Here are some of the important health and safety topics you’ll cover:
- Laws and Regulations—Learn what the laws and regulations for estheticians are in your state.
- Health and Safety Considerations—If you like science, you’ll really be interested in this topic, which covers the chemical makeup of cosmetics and chemical peels as well as the purpose of skin preparation. You’ll be trained in the operation of electrical devices, the prevention of chemical injuries, protection from hazardous chemicals, communicable diseases, and health and safety standards.
- Disinfection and Sanitation—You’ll learn how to properly sanitize and disinfect your equipment.
- Anatomy and Physiology—This will give you a foundation in human anatomy as well as bacteria and different types of skin conditions.
How to Give a Facial
Consider this Facial 101. Here, you’ll learn the technical and practical aspects of facials. Did you know there are actually three types of facials?
- Manual—Think of this as the classic facial, which uses massage techniques to relax and regenerate the skin.
- Electrical—Also known as a micro current facial, this uses a light electrical current to stimulate the skin.
- Chemical—This includes chemical peels, scrubs, and masks.
You’ll be trained in the proper techniques and procedures for all three types of facials as well as how to provide excellent service to your clients. This includes:
- Client consultation
- Record keeping
- Pre- and post-facial care
Hair Removal, Makeup for Estheticians, and Lash & Brow Services
In addition to facials, estheticians also specialize in hair removal, makeup application, and services for lashes and brows. You’ll learn the techniques of all of them:
- Makeup—This includes basic makeup application as well as skin analysis and how to properly apply false eyelashes.
- Eyebrow Beautification—You’ll learn all there is to know about hair removal methods including waxing, tweezing, and depilatories. You’ll also learn how to shape eyebrows and conduct hair analysis.
- Lash & Brow Services—Students can now learn theory for coloring eyebrows and eyelashes, as well as lash lifting and brow lamination.
At Salon Success Academy, you’ll take a class in Make-Up Designory/MUD Makeup Beauty Essentials. In this course, you’ll learn special makeup skills such as shadowing, highlighting, and contouring. And you discover how to use concealers to cover blemishes, as well as how to blend and match makeup.
If you can’t wait to get started, contact Salon Success Academy today. Our professional faculty will teach you all of this and more through our Esthetician program in California. Call 1-877-987-4247 or fill out the form to learn more.