Now that we’ve established the importance of having a professional cosmetology portfolio, you’ll want to make it more accessible for those who want to view it. You can easily do this by creating an online version of your portfolio and encouraging your clients and potential employers to log on to your new website. It’s much easier than lugging your portfolio around with you everywhere you go and it will guarantee you more exposure in the beauty industry. You’d be crazy not to do it!
Here are some tips on how to get your cosmetology portfolio online:
- Find a Free Website – Build your portfolio online by using an easy-to-use blog site, like WordPress or Wix. Make sure to customize the site in a way that represents you and your brand. You can choose a template with an appropriate theme, or you can create your own background, layout, colors and fonts.
- Simplicity is Key – You’ll be able to do exciting things with the online version of your portfolio that just weren’t possible with the hard copy. But it’s important not to run wild with this concept and load up your site with every widget and gadget available on the World Wide Web. Your website should be simple, uncluttered, and easy to navigate. If not, your site will frustrate people and discourage them from using it.
- Stunning Homepage– You want to capture your viewer’s attention from the very start, so your homepage needs to be eye-popping! The photos on your homepage should be the examples of your best work, photos that demonstrate your unique creativity that sets you apart from other cosmetologists in the industry. This will also help set the tone for the rest of the site.
- Create a Photo Gallery– Make sure your site includes a photo gallery of high-quality images with short descriptions. The photo gallery should be easy to find and quick to load, because this will likely be the most viewed page on your website. Choose a variety of photos that showcase your versatility and place them in an order that flows well. However you choose to order them is up to you; just make sure there is some type of order.
- About Me Section – For the other pages on your website, consider adding an ‘About Me’ section. Get creative when writing about your background and previous experience, so readers get a good feel for who you are and what it’s like to work with you. Your site should have your contact information displayed prominently, so hiring you is as easy as clicking a button. Another great idea is to include links to any other websites you use to promote yourself professionally, like your Facebook page.
Have you created a website to showcase your work in the beauty industry? If so, what site did you use? Would you recommend using it to other beauty school students? Share your best advice with the other Beauty Buzz readers by commenting below.