After you graduate from Salon Success Academy comes the next big step – acing your cosmetology state board test. Once you’ve passed your exam, you’ll be a licensed cosmetologist and a true professional in the beauty industry!
California recently transitioned to the National State Board exam in October 2011. The exam has two-parts: a written portion (multiple choice) and a practical portion (where you must demonstrate your skills to an evaluator).
How to Pass the Written and Practical Cosmetology Exam
- Continue to study and practice up until the day of your exam. Set aside time every day to study and challenge yourself to beat your highest score.
- Don’t avoid studying the things that you find the hardest. Tackle the hardest subject first, and the rest of your studying will seem much easier.
- Try to study for the cosmetology exam with friends. It can make studying much more fun!
- For the practical exam, you must perform every step in exact order. Find a way to memorize the steps. Practice makes perfect!
- When you practice for the cosmetology written exam, time yourself when studying. The written portion has 100 multiple-choice questions that must be completed within 90 minutes.
- Sterilization is an essential part of the cosmetology exam. Make sure you know how to sterilize your equipment, work station, and your hands.
- Make sure your used materials end up in the trash, not next to it. It can result in missed points.
- Take advantage of the comprehensive State Board exam preparation at Salon Success Academy. Every student participates in a mock state board exam once they’ve clocked 1,200 hours.
- Remember to bring your equipment and a picture ID the day of the exam. Know the guidelines, because they are very specific. For example, starting on March 1, students must now bring a mannequin head with them to the exam.
- If you don’t pass on your first try, don’t let it get you down. If you pass only one portion of the exam, you have up to one year to pass the other portion. There’s no limit to how many times you can retake it.